17 Things I Learnt At 16

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

A few days ago it was my birthday and I'm officially 17. I'm not sure on how I feel about it - if totally normal and as I was before or a little wiser. Did something in my life change just because 13th August passed? Have I changed after one day?
Truth is, I don't know and nobody does. What I do know is that I might be no different from the one I was two days ago, but I'm definitely a total other person if you think of me one year ago.

People change and that's BEAUTIFUL - and totally natural. My body changed, my mind changed, my opinions changed and the way I see things matured. I learnt, laughed, cried, sacrificed, loved, paid the price, lost friends and gained new ones, pushed myself too hard and learnt my lesson. All these things turned me into a different person and I am, in a way, thankful. I feel proud of myself, not as much as I was one year ago, but in the end I like to think it this way: I made it to the end and I made it out alive. I should be proud of that and so should everyone of themselves. One year is a lot of time, time for progress, success, failure, happiness, sadness, mistakes, good choices, doubts. All these emotions/situations shaped me into the person I'm today. 

Everyday you are a brand new person, because you lived and learnt and every experience you went through in your life will always be a part of you. Therefore one year might not be a lot of time, but it's definitely precious time for changing and growing up. 

These are 17 things I learnt when I was 16: 
  1. Some people come and go. Sometimes they want to go away, sometimes you want them to go. But other times nobody decides who has to leave, but you both fall apart without wanting, without realizing even. Is there something you can do to prevent that from happening? Definitely. Were you great at doing that? Not so much. 
  2. You are allowed failing, nobody ever said you always have to be perfect. 
  3. People who don't take their responsibilities are the worst people. It's worst when they blame you instead of themselves. I shouldn't be around those people that often.
  4. People who read your texts but don't answer are the worst too. WHY DO YOU DO THAT?
  5. You don't always have to help others if they aren't grateful or they are not friends of yours but just try to be nice when they need you to do their homework. NO THANKS. 
  6. Don't be sorry all the time. 
  7. Nights are made for sleeping, not for studying or worrying. 
  8. I have anxiety and I didn't choose it, but I've got the power in my hands not to let it affect me. I should work on that.
  9. It's okay to ask for help and admit your problems.
  10. You can't always get what you want. Last year, I was always reminding myself to JUST SAY YES to everything. Fair enough, everything is line. However, bare in mind that you'll find people who are going to tell you no and many times there's nothing you can do.
  11. Hurting people will make them go away from you.
  12. Never use your phone if you are sitting on your balcony and you have slippery hands. It will fall and break into million pieces and you will never be able to use it any more(that happened to my  beloved, 4-year-old iPhone 4s two weeks ago).
  13. Some people don't love you as much as you do.
  14. You don't get on well with selfish people. 
  15. I should surround myself with things and people that make me happy, no matter what other people think.
  16. Studying whilst crying because you think you can't do it is frustrating and counterproductive. Your brain will be clouded with negative thoughts and you won't be concentrated. 
  17. You have to accept that things change. People change. Their feelings change. Things are not as they were 5 years ago, neither are people. When I was 16, I really wished a specific person would have come to me and shown interest. They didn't, and even if they did, they showed up for a few, fast seconds. And even when they briefly texted you every now and then, that doesn't mean that they meant to stay. When I used to be very close friends with that person, they would always stress that it's of utmost importance to be happy and be in happy places with people that make you happy. Even if that implies calling some friendships off. Maybe when they were reminding that to themselves that long time ago, they were actually saying it to a 5-year-later me. Moral of the story, some friendships are meant to last forever, others are not. Some people don't love you enough and you can't do anything than accept it. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe