My Secret Garden

Saturday, January 24, 2015

I always tend to keep the best things that happen in my like just for me. Whenever I find something new out, I don't use to go tell everyone I know about my little "discovery",  with the exception of my parents and family, who are the only people I truly swear by. I think there's anything mean or rude with that, I just like to keep exciting stuff for me to enjoy and that's it. There are also some things that we absolutely love to do, but we aren't sure to tell other people, maybe because we are not comfortable to let others in. It does happen several times to me that I want to share my excitement, but at the same time I'd prefer to enjoy it by myself. For example, I have  had this blog since September, yet my family are the only people who know. I have some friends of course, but I always ask myself: "Do I really want to inform them?". 
When I started this experience - of which I'm obviously at the beginning - and set up "Your Serenity", I craved to get a place where I could totally be myself and by my own, that was probably something I did need five months ago. In other words, I wanted to enjoy this brand new journey by myself and keep it for me. With this blog, I basically created my "Secret Garden" and speaking of it, the first thing that comes to my mind is a charming book I read lately. I'm talking about " The Secret Garden", written by Frances Hodgson Burnett, a novel I had to read a while ago and I wrote an essay about for a school exam. I'd like to share with you its plot and my review of it. 


"The secret garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett  


SYNOPSIS: a novel by Burnett set in Yorkshire about a girl who moves to his uncle's manor and wants to find its "secret garden".

CHARACTERS:
The main character is called Mary Lennox, a spoilt orphan kid; 
Mr. Craven, Mary's uncle, is rude and hardly ever at his place due to his work;
Martha is Mary's nice and sweet nanny;
Dickon is Martha's brother as well as Mary's friend;
The robin of the manor's gardens is Mary's best friend who's able to cheer her up with its singing;
Colin is Mr. Craven's ill son

PLOT: 
After his parents' death, Mary was sent from India to Yorkshire Mr. Craven's manor. At first, she doesn't suit there because she is alone and she doesn't like her nanny, but then she realizes that Martha is a very kind person. In her spare time, Mary likes to walk in the gardens and to have fun. Here she meets the gardener of Mr. Craven's manor, Ben, who tells her about the garden locked by Mr.Craven ten years before, since his wife passed away by falling from the branch she was sitting on. Mary wants to find it so bad. One day a robin shows Mary its key and then its door, therefore her friend Dickon and her start to spend most of their free time there. One day, Mary hears someone crying. Intrigued, she approaches the room the voice came from and she finds her uncle Colin laying on his bed. She also discovers Colin is her cousin and that he is so ill he's going to die. In order to cheer him up, Mary and Dickon take him outdoors with a wheel chair. But as soon as they get to the secret garden, Colin stands up and walks. Now, he's finally healed. According to him, this is owing to the magic of the secret garden.

MY REVIEW: Although it is very simple,this novel moved me a lot. Reading it was actually pleasant because it has got a very deep meaning and shows you that happiness comes from little things. I really suggest this to all the people who want to read something interesting but fun at the same time.



This blog, alongside youtube, music, Taylor Swift and other stuff, are my secret gardens...



Sere,xxx


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe