Germany Throwback

Friday, July 29, 2016

I reckon summer 2015 was the best, most challenging time of my life so far. I got to travel a lot, see new places, try things out & meet new friends. Amongst the holidays I went on, one particularly stands up. On the 22nd of June 2015 my dad & I took a plane - the first one ever for me - to go and visit Germany. I had been there once before, when I was about 8 years old and remember enjoying that country  just as much as I did last year. Basically, my dad was born there and I guess he has always passed down to me and my sisters his love and appreciation for Germany. 
Last summer, instead, my father and I thought that it would be fun to go to Stuttgart - where he was born - for 5 days to celebrate his 50th birthday. I never really talked you through that journey last year - with the exception of this brief recap here - so I thought I'd do it in today's throwback post. 

Stuttgart is such an amazing place, filled with quirky shops - independent or not -  alongside street markets. What also pleased me was that even in the centre of this big city, you can still find a lot of green areas and flowers. Also, the historic, gothic monuments there did astonish me, as he Gothic style is one of my favourite ones and Germany seems pretty rich of that kind of buildings.

















Kurtz is BY FAR one of my favorites shops there. What's funny about it is that it is i fact a toy shop! I remember spending 2 hours in there just trying to find the best toy to buy when I visited Stuttgart for the first time. I think it wasn't called Kurtz back then, but the concept was the same: 4 or 5 floors of toys only. A child's dream - and a 17 year-old's!



Markthalle is another cool, interesting place. It is essentially an indoor market seelling a wide range of products, from food to homeware.









On another day we visited the Medieval town called Marbach am Neckar. At that time, I was utterly interested and obsessed with the Middle Ages, as we were studying it at school with a very interesting teacher who made me love everything she was teaching us. I'm definitely not used to seeing those characteristic houses and buildings and Marbach am Neckar is also poet Friedrich Shiller's hometown, which made it extra interesting because we visited his family house too.











The last place I want to include in today's post is Blühendes Barock, in Ludwigsburg. Out of all the places I visited last year, this has to be the most breath taking. This huge garden around the castle of Ludwigsburg just felt to me like the set of a Romeo & Juliet movie or the Secret Garden that Burnett describes in her book. I don't think my words will ever give it justice, so I reckon it's only fair to leave a few pictures for you to admire.

























I do hope you enjoyed this post as much as I did when taking those snaps. I really love Germany and I hope I'll get to go back there. Get ready for other Germany related posts soon then!
Thank you for reading, I'll speak to you later! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe